Thursday 3 October 2013

Kimberleys - Lake Argyle and the Ord River

I'm going to open this post by saying, OH MY GOD!

Lake Argyle and the Ord River is a must see for anyone living on Earth. If you are reading this and not from Earth I'm sure you have some alien landscapes just as amazing.. but if not, forget visiting Pine Gap or Area 51, head to the Kimberley's.

I'm going to let the pictures do the talking in this update. I'm sure they will speak for themselves, plus it means you don't have to listen to my ramblings.

But before I show you all the pictures, I'm sure you are wondering what I have broken lately? 

Well NOTHING! Ha. 

Ok, that's not exactly true. You see, we had to leave Kakadu early to arrive at Kununarra before dark. That meant that the wildlife is a lot more active. Unfortunately, the thing we broke this time was Skippy's cousin. I guess it was only a matter of time before I hit one, I mean they are everywhere! Thankfully we didn't break anything and thankfully 5 ton of F250 meant it was painless for skippy too. So RIP skip and sorry I couldn't stop in time.

We finally arrived in Kununurra, 800+ kilometres from Kakadu, at around 5pm. Or was that 3:30pm, or maybe 5:30pm Sydney time??? Either way, sometime in the afternoon. The time zones are screwing me up.


After an overnight stop for fuel and food we headed to Lake Argyle.

So, without further ado, Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the main attraction; Lake Argyle


We immediately unpacked (to the missus' disgust) again and had a look around.

A swim here!


And then the worlds best sunset cruise around Lake Argyle








The next day I had to take the jetski onto Lake Argyle. 

You can't imagine the sheer size of this lake. Estimates put it at around 20 times larger than Sydney Harbour. It's beyond huge. I was probably only able to explore way less than a quarter of this massive lake.


If I'm honest, the feeling of not only being the only jetski on the entire lake, but the ONLY boat, made me feel a little weird (sort of a little freaked out like when you need to walk outside at night after watching a scary movie). All of the "what ifs", the "what could go wrong", seem to haunt you while you're cruising around in total isolation. No wakes from other boats, no ripples, no breeze, no sound! No one to hear your screams... ok, the last one was a little theatrical, but it would be true.

Try to imagine it. Imagine you survived an apocalypse in Sydney and found yourself looking for any sign of life on the harbour, BUT it was twenty times bigger!!


However, the isolation, got me thinking. I wonder if I could jetski from Lake Argyle to Kununarra? I wonder if the river is deep enough? I wonder if I can convince the missus to drive 70 kilometres with camper and trailer back to Kununarra and meet me (assuming I make it).

Well, the stars all aligned for me and tomorrow was the big day. I'm jetskiing down the Ord River! Yeer har!


With day time temps around forty degrees, we got up early and packed everything up to beat the heat. I was in the water by 8am. By the way, the water temp up here is around thirty degrees.

And off I go.



What a buzz. There were small channels, mini rapids, bush tunnels, shallow crossings, steep gorges and even a Croc. Yep, a Croc. This was meant to be a "management" zone, but there are warnings everywhere that some Croc's sneak up the Ord.


I made it. Whoo Hoo.

This, by far, was the most adrenalin fueled jetski ride of my entire life and I didn't even go over 80 kph! It was truly an adventure like none other.

Next stop is the Bungle Bungles, assuming we beat the wet season, it's just started raining here tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment