Monday 2 September 2013

Townsville and Magnetic Island

We immediately knew this place just didn't have to same holiday feel the other places had.

Townsville is a working town. It's not a holiday place like all of the others. Although there is a spot, an oasis from the working port, from the rusting steel, the muddy waters and the grubby city streets.


North Eastern corner of Magnetic Island
Just around the eastern corner of Magnetic Island is Horseshoe bay. You could be mistaken thinking you have been teleported somewhere else, but you are still essentially in Townsville, sort of. Unfortunately this is the best it has to offer.

What's left is a fleet. of what looked like patrol boats, used to monitor our boarders and intercept illegal immigrants.




But just down river was this.... I guess they missed one?


While I don't think this was a boat full of asylum seekers, surely it could have been towed in a "get rid of it" kind of way.

I then come across this disaster on the inlet to Townsville. It looked like a couple is actually living on this. I wonder if they are waiting for the next cyclone to wash them back in?


All in all a shock really. I couldn't help thinking, after stopping at Townsville, how good we have it at home. Ettalong, Swansea, Nelson Bay and Forster.

But I should stop there, as my mum always said, if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. But I was always an ignorant child...

I can't help it. I'm not a fan of Townsville. It's run down and generally looks untidy. The water is mostly cloudy and brown. Sorry. That's not the view I have of the people though. All friendly people, I just think let down by local councils

Next stop Mission Beach... I'm already packed and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment